Author: Kate L. Mary
Genre: New Adult Romantic Mystery
Publication Date: May 2, 2014
Tour Host: Dreams Come True Promotions
When eighteen-year-old Kara Jones gets into a car accident on the way home from college, she’s left with more than a few bruised ribs, a busted cell phone, and a totaled car. After a slip-up at the hospital, she’s shaken to discover that her family isn’t all it seems. And now her mother’s strange behavior and willingness to do anything to protect her secrets—including pulling Kara out of school—have Kara floundering in the dark.
Enter Derek Miller, a former classmate who’s dealing with family issues of his own. His nerdy charm is too much for Kara to resist, and she’s even more amazed when he agrees to help her dig into her mother’s past. Together they investigate her mother’s old friends and boyfriends, hoping to discover who Kara really is. Instead, they find disturbing connections to the dark history of Kent State University, and an ever expanding maze of mystery surrounding Kara’s birth.
As Kara and Derek chase secrets, she realizes he’s the only person she can trust. But as they get closer to the truth, the disturbing answers reveal a web of evil far darker and further reaching then they’d imagined, leaving Kara to wish she’d never asked the questions in the first place, and to wonder if some secrets are better left untold…
This is a really hard book for me to review. While I really liked this book. I can honestly see myself sitting on the couch watching this as a Lifetime movie. Yet, there was a lot of stuff that drove me up a wall! This was Kate Mary's debut book and she did a great job.
Kara is on her way home from college in a snowstorm & crashes her car. They need the jaws of life to get her out of the car. Kara honestly didn't think her life could get worse. That was until she was at the hospital. The nurse is filling her & her parents in on what she hurt & how they are treating her. She mentions a blood transfusion. Her parents offer to help. That's when her world is just turned upside down.
After spending a few days in the hospital she goes home to find her dad sitting on the snowy front steps. They get inside & her world just crumbles into a million pieces. Kara is told her dad is not her "dad" & he needs to be away from her mother. Now, Kara wants answers and the one person who can answer them, her mom. Refuses to answer them. I mean she let's Kara know it's better that you know nothing excerpt your dad. The man that's been raising you, he is your father. And, that's that, end of discussion!!
Kara gets pissed & rightfully so. Being that Kara's cellphone got damaged in the accident. She has no one's phone #s written down anywhere. She bundles up and walks out. Kara ended up at the bar not that far away from her house. She's frozen and needs to warm up. Then, shes the bartender and he knows exactly who she is. They went to high school together. Derek Miller. And, man did he look nothing like he did when they were in school together. He lost his whole family in a tragedy when they were still in school.
Kara & Derek get very, very close very fast! Kara & Derek start spending every minute of the day & night together. Kara sets her mind to finding out who her "real daddy" is. Kara realizes it has to be someone her parents went to college with. When she went home one afternoon when her mom wasn't home. Kara went snooping through her mom's stuff. Found some names but not much of anything else. Nothing. She had nothing.
Derek has some friends that go to the college her parents went too. They decide to go on a road trip. After a lot of research on Kara and Derek's part, they have a list of people's names & telephone numbers. Kara begs her mother 1 last time to tell her. She begs Kara to leave it alone. You don't want to know.
Lets just say it was a lot of work. A bunch of dead ends. But, Kara gets what she wanted. And, if I was her I'd be kicking my own ass!!
This was definitely a fast paced book. I read it pretty quick considering how long it was. Now, Derek & Kara got on my nerves so much. Kara literally acted like a spoiled brat the whole book! She's pissed at her mom. I get it 100%. But, she runs into Derek a guy she went to high school with. Yet, she can not remember him at all. Next thing she's practically living with him. Derek loves having her around. He's driving her everywhere, paying for everything, giving her his extra car to drive. What!!!
For 2 people who never spoke a word in high school. Then, running into each other. To all "I love you". Ugh. Made me want to vomit. Both Derek & Kara were running away from their problems. Derek was trying to be someone else. Kara wanted to find out where she really came from. I felt like they were unintentionally using each other.
Granted they were cute together. Kept their minds of what was really going on. I really loved Derek's friends. They were hysterical! The author did leave it open for book 2. Which my fingers are crossed because I really need to know whats going to happen now that the bomb has been set. I need to know what happens after it went off!!
Kate L. Mary is a stay-at-home mother of four and an Air Force wife. She spent most of her life in a small town just north of Dayton, Ohio where she and her husband met at the age of twelve. Since their marriage in 2002, they have lived in Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, and California.
Kate’s love of books and writing has helped her survive countless husbandless nights. She enjoys any post-apocalyptic story – especially if zombies are involved – as long as there is a romantic twist to give the story hope. Kate prefers nerdy, non-traditional heroes who can make you laugh to hunky pieces of man-meat, and her love of wine and chocolate is legendary among her friends and family. She currently resides in Oklahoma with her husband and children.
1. I’ve been married for 12 years.
2. I met my husband in my church youth group when we were 12 years old, but we didn’t start dating until nine years later.
3. I’m a stay-at-home mom of four kids, two boys and two girls.
4. My boys are Carter and Chase, and the names were inspired by doctors from television shows we liked at the time. Carter from ER and Chase from House. Girls are Christa and Corinne, and those names came from people we knew.
5. I can probably quote most episodes of Friends by heart, and my husband and I are a lot like Chandler and Monica. I’m an obsessive-compulsive neat freak, and he can never be serious. Plus, we were friends for years before we started dating.
6. My husband is a C-17 pilot in the Air Force.
7. Since we’ve been married, we’ve lived in 6 states (Ohio, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, California and Oklahoma) and moved 7 times.
8. My all-time favorite move is Aliens. I love it so much that sometimes I just put it on for background noise when I write.
9. I love The Walking Dead. LOVE IT. I even have some of the graphic novels and a few Daryl Dixon shirts. When it’s on things get serious in my house. We are not allowed to talk during the show and I do not answer texts, emails or calls.
10. I’m a huge nerd and I love that about myself.
11. When I was in high school I read classic novels almost exclusively. Jane Austen’s books are some of my favorites, but I also love Gone with the Wind.
12. I set my stories in cities I’ve actually lived in or visited, and love having my characters visit real places. Collision is set in the Dayton, Ohio area, where I grew up, and my characters go to a pizza place that is a popular Dayton chain. (And the pizza is amazing.)
13. I’m a wino. Okay, not really a wino, but I love red wine.
14. And chocolate…
15. And coffee.
16. I think every book should have a little bit of romance in it, but I have a hard time reading a romance novel. I always want more plot than that, and I’m particularly into dystopian or post-apocalyptic stories.
17. My favorite city is Charleston, SC. We were stationed there for almost four years and I had the best friends imaginable.
18. I wrote a zombie series with an awesome female main character that will be available from Etopia Press this year!
19. I have a huge girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence. I’m pretty sure I’d leave my husband for her if she asked…
20. My husband is my best friend and I have more fun with him than I’ve ever had with another person.
Author Website: http://katelmary.com/
Author GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8185415.Kate_L_Mary
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Kate-L.-Mary/e/B00K48N5EQ
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1s9o1VW
a Rafflecopter giveaway